Parent-Led Centres: Playcentre, Kohanga Reo and Pacific Island Family Centres

Search Entire Website
children playing with dress-ups/ costumes in home-based ECE

Parent-led centres.
By Dr Sarah Alexander.

Parent-led centres is a term coined by the Ministry of Education to mean a centre that is funded as a parent-involved service. Family and whanau based early childhood centres have parents actively involved in caring for and teaching children. Parents are also involved in the management and administration. 

The term ‘parents’ as its used in this article includes anyone who is involved in parenting and this may include step parents, foster parents, and grandparents.

excursion taking children for a walk

Most of these centres are licensed (formally organised) Playcentres, Kōhanga Reo and Pacific Island Language Centres.  

Or the services may be unlicensed playgroups, Pacific Island early childhood groups, Nga Puna Kōhangahunga, Playcentres and Kōhanga Reo that may have various levels of parent involvement (the Ministry of Education term is ‘licence-exempt ECE groups’). 

Family based/parent-involved centres differ from kindergartens and childcare centres in the following three respects:

  1. Parents find that the centre belongs to them and it is what they contribute that helps to define the centre quality for themselves and children.
  2. There is no one operating the centre or working in the centre who may treat parents ‘as a bit of nuisance if they hang around for too long’ or as ‘getting in the way’, or to give parents a sense that they are ‘interfering’ if they take responsibility for the care of their child and/or other children in the centre.
  3. There is an absence of paid staff working with children; although some centres may have some professional/employed staff or people with early childhood government recognised qualifications to provide leadership for parents and reduce the obligation of parents in a community to always be on hand to supervise children.



Instead of, or as well as, attending a Parent-Involved service that requires a regular commitment to attending you may opt for a playgroup.  Playgroups, many of which are also tax-payer funded operate from local community halls, Churches, schools and other places.  You can usually pop in during the playgroup hours, and have a cup of tea while your child plays.  There is usually a leader or leaders who may provide some group singing or other activities like story time for the children.  To find a playgroup in your area phone Plunket, your local Community Centre, the Salvation Army, or ask your local Playcentre.  Also try asking any providers of Home-based Education in your area as most licensed home-based providers also operate tax-payer funded playgroups for their caregivers/educators and may welcome local parents as well. 

Why Choose Parent-Led Centres?

To choose a Parent-Involved Centre you are most likely to be:

  • a shift-worker (allowing you or your partner) to attend the programme with your child during daylight hours
  • a self-employed person with flexible work hours
  • a stay-at-home parent
  • a dad who wants to meet other dads, and have opportunity to play alongside your child in a centre where all the equipment etc is provided
  • a parent with a pre-schooler and a new baby/babies needing a service where children of both ages are welcome and can attend at the same time
  • a new parent who would like contact with other new parents; or sharing of practical strategies for child care and help to have time to sit down and have a cup of coffee and have someone else play with your child for a time 
  • a person who likes to be in a relaxed environment
  • a person who, even if shy, would welcome conversation with other adults
  • a person who may be new to the local area and has yet to get to know many others in the area
  • a person who is seeking or who may be open to the idea of receiving training in early childhood education, or in participating in other courses that may be offered e.g. in te reo Maori (Maori language), computer training, group facilitation and management skills, parenting skills, or even  business administration.

Children Best Suited to Parent-led Centres

Children like having their parents present.  It may be difficult for some children to share their parent though when their parent is talking with other adults or helping other children.  However, this problem can be overcome as children settle into the Parent-Involved centre environment and develop independence and autonomy, make friendships with other children, and do not always need their parent to be right beside them all the time or actively involved in play.

parents are involved and small groups of children only

Children with special educational needs, gifted children, and children with disabilities are likely to experience an environment of inclusion, stimulation, and warmth. 

There will be many people to respond to them, with a range of qualifications and interests and abilities, to meet their needs.

Issues of staff-child ratios which can create a problem for children with different needs in kindergartens, daycare and other professionally staffed services do not arise in parent-led centres.

Parent-Involved Centres sometimes experience an exodus of families to Kindergarten when children turn 3 or 4 years of age because parents decide they want a service where they can just drop off their child and not stay.  This can mean fewer same-aged peers for older children and if this happens then the centre may be a less stimulating place for your older child as older children benefit as much, if not more sometimes, from the stimulation of peers as they do from adult educators. 

Possible Problems and Difficulties

Parent-led centres typically offer training and courses.  This may be a problem to you if you are otherwise busy with work or have younger children and no other adults at home to help you in the evening or when a course might be held.  However, generally centres operate courses in a flexible manner that acknowledge family commitments and obligations, and with choices of formal and informal education options so you can pick and choose. 

You may choose a Kōhanga Reo, Pacific Island Centre or other cultural centre assuming that you and your child will have good exposure to the language of the culture.  However, not every centre has adults that speak the language all of the time and provide total immersion for children.  So consider this in making your choice as to whether you are happy with partial immersion or want total immersion. 

In some parent-led centres centres its difficult to know what it is going to cost you before you start.  Some centres charge fees while other ask for donations of goods and services e.g. help with plumbing if you are a plumber may be equally as acceptable.  You may find yourself having additional costs as you volunteer to do more and become more involved e.g. in attending national meetings or helping to collect donated goods but this only becomes a problem if you are not happy to do this – parents who volunteer are generally happy to meet any extra personal costs of involvement.  

Disputes with other whanau members or parents at the Centre can be hard to handle.  Also there might be an adult who rubs you up the wrong way and you just can’t get along with. Within the cooperative atmosphere of a Parent-Involved centre there is usually always someone a parent can talk with or find to be a friend.  In licensed centres there should be written procedures for dealing with disputes that you can refer to.   

You might not like the way another child behaves or the way other parents talk (e.g. use of bad language in front of children as part of their everyday way of talking).  There is not much you can do on your own about this, and it can arise at any service, parent-involved or not.  However as a cooperative, problems and issues can be discussed as a team and agreements may be able to be reached or solutions found e.g. for parents while at the centre not to use bad language in children’s hearing.  

How Popular are these Centres?

Popularity is not an indicator of quality.  

Attendance at any type of service can be driven by government policy and financial incentives, the advertising budgets of services to promote and cleverly market themselves, and family/cultural beliefs about whether to stay with or leave children in the care of others. 

How to Find Parent-led Centres in Your Area

Go to the early childhood centre directory at the My ECE website for parents.  

Local Plunket Nurses, and the children’s librarian at your local library will be able to tell you too. Recommendations and some inside knowledge different services can help.

Has this been useful?  Give us your feedback.

You are welcome to add a link to this page on your website. Copyright belongs to the OECE so please do not copy any content without our written permission.

Information provided is of a general nature. It is provided ‘as is’, and we accept no liability for its accuracy or completeness. See our Terms and Conditions.

Related Posts

many colours of paint concept for early childhood sector groups and early childhood education system

Who is Who in our Sector

Early Childhood Education System. The Stakeholders and Key Organisations Peak Bodies / Largest ECE Service Operators Operators of more than 400 licensed services in our

Read More »
sandpit toys and health and safety

Playcentre Aotearoa

There are two iconic NZ early childhood organisations that continue to hold onto their original purpose and philosophy, these are Playcentre Aotearoa and Nga Kōhanga

Read More »
Children cuddling and caring for early childhood centre pet guinea-pig.

Death of a Pet

The death of a pet, especially a first pet, can be more traumatic for a child than it is for an adult.  Often the child has grown up with the pet and considers it to be as much a member […]

To access this member only information, you must purchase Educator Membership.

Read More »
The Office of ECE

Share This Information

Table of Contents

Table of Contents

The Office of ECE Login

Public Area Categories