Early Childhood Education System.
The Stakeholders and Key Organisations
Peak Bodies / Largest ECE Service Operators
Operators of more than 400 licensed services in our ECE system
- National Te Kohanga Reo Trust (a charitable organisation and community-based)
- Playcentre Aotearoa (a charitable organisation and community-based)
Operators of between 200 – 400 licensed ECE services
- BestStart (formerly known as Kidicorp: a privately-owned charitable trust organisation)
Operators of between 100 – 199 licensed ECE services
- Evolve Education (a share market listed company to make money for investors)
- Auckland Kindergarten Association (a charitable organisation and community-based)
Operators of between 50 – 99 licensed ECE services
- Whānau Manaaki Kindergarten Association (a charitable organisation and community-based)
- Kidsfirst Kindergartens (a charitable organisation and community-based)
- Provincial Education (growth driven by fund management for-profit)
Non-political Interest Groups
- Infant Mental Health Association Aotearoa NZ (IMHAANZ) – a country member of the World Association for Infant Mental Health (WAIMH).
- OMEP Aotearoa – a country member of the OMEP world organisation for professionals concerned with the education and rights of young children.
- Reggio Emilia Aotearoa New Zealand (REANZ) – supports teachers to critically engage with the pedagogy of Reggio Emilia within the cultural content of Aotearoa
Formalised Teacher Groups in our Early Childhood Education System
ECMenz– An Association that supports men working in ECE
Hospital Play Specialists – An Association that supports teachers and staff working in ECE licensed services in hospitals
Early Intervention (EIAAZ) – An Association that supports early intervention practitioners
NZEI – Union for the industrial interests of ECE teachers mainly employed by Kindergarten Associations
TEU – Union for the industrial interests of ECE teachers working in ECE services at Tertiary Education Institutions
Service Provider Factions
The Christian Early Childhood Education Association of Aotearoa (CECEAA)
Wellington Pacific ECE Collective (WPEC) for Pacific ECE services in the Wellington region, including Porirua and the Hutt
Federation of Rudolf Steiner Schools – safeguards the integrity of Steiner education in New Zealand and lobbies on behalf of Steiner-based ECE services.
Montessori Aotearoa New Zealand (MANZ)- lobbies for the interests of ECE services that promote Montessori education.
Financial/ Business Promotion Lobbyists
Home Based Early Childhood Education Association (HBCA)
Early Childhood Council (ECC)
Te Rito Maioha Early Childhood New Zealand (TRMECNZ)
NZ Kindergartens (Grouping of 15 Kindergarten Associations)
Educational Leadership (Grouping of 3 Kindergarten Associations)